Members Area

Frequently asked questions

  • innerbanner01.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions



Do I need a PCA?

Without a PCA you will be deemed to be carrying out unauthorised building work and council can stop work on the building.

If work is stopped you will need to apply to council for a Building Certificate to authorise the completed building work.

You may also be required to modify your development consent and Construction Certificate. You may also be liable to a large fine under the EP&A Act.

Back to top

Are inspections mandatory?

Yes. The EP&A Regulation sets out the number of mandatory inspections for all types of buildings.

The PCA must advise the owner what inspections are required to be carried out by the PCA. Where an inspection by a third party, such as an engineer, is required, the PCA will request written confirmation in the form of a report or certificate to verify that the inspection was carried out, and that work satisfies any applicable standards.

Back to top

When can I move into my house?

You cannot move into a house until after the PCA has carried out a final inspection and issued an Occupation Certificate or Compliance Certificate.

Back to top

Can I replace a principal certifying authority?

Yes, but you must obtain the written approval of the council or relevant accreditation body, where the original PCA is an accredited certifier.

Back to top

What are the advantages of using an accredited certifier instead of Council?

Generally, accredited certifiers are able to respond to customers much faster and they can process applications sooner.

Back to top

What does a PCA have to do?

Before work commences, the PCA must inform, preferably in writing, the owner (or their delegate) and the builder of what inspections are to be carried out and who will undertake them.

After work is complete, the PCA will conduct a final inspection before issuing the occupation certificate.

Back to top